Our traditional approach to Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) has failed to foster any real behavioural change. We can refresh our approach to D&I in two key areas: Intent (i.e., how you frame your philosophy, strategic ambitions, the style and language you use) and Action (i.e., the methods you then use to put your intent into action).
What we’ll cover:
- What are the traditional approaches to inclusion
- What are the new approaches to inclusion
- Practical ways you can build a more inclusive team
Download the slides from this Episode.
- Make sure your intentions around D&I are honest, integral to your business aims and use human language.
- Use data and insights in smarter ways.
- Focus on great conversations/small changes you can make.
- Check in with each other to mitigate bias.
TIME FOR SOME REFLECTION
Make your job posts more inclusive
- Select a real job post or job description that you would like to make more inclusive.
- Reflect on the current language and the language used. Consider if there are any potentially exclusive or biased terms, gendered language, or assumptions that may discourage certain candidates.
- Identify potential improvements by using this free AI tool which will highlight areas of the job posting where you can make improvements to promote inclusivity. Look for opportunities to use gender-neutral language, remove unnecessary requirements that may disproportionately impact certain groups, and emphasise skills rather than specific demographics.
You’ll find other reflection exercises that you can do either individually or with a group of your peers in the Programme workbook.
Looking for some conversation starters that can help you build a more diverse and inclusive team? Flip the card to see some suggestions.
1. Do you feel heard at work when you speak? If not, why? What would make you feel heard?
2. Do you feel recognised for your unique strengths and skills?
3. Whose voice or what perspective is missing from this conversation?
4. Are there any areas where we can improve the language we use to avoid unconscious biases?
OTHER RESOURCES YOU MIGHT FIND USEFUL
In this short video, we look at how we can tackle our natural human biases to ensure we have a rich and diverse set of skills in our team.
Here’s a look at why unconscious bias training doesn’t work and what you could do instead.
The Team Meetings Toolkit gives you tips and the latest leadership practices, ideas on the right questions to ask, and meeting starters to help you run different types of team meetings.
Live chat is available at the bottom right of your screen. Feel free to ask any questions. We’re here to help!